1 of 64
|Modell||Frank Anderson Motor Yacht|
|Klass||Antik och Klassisk|
|Säljs av||East Island Yacht Sales, LLC - East Island Yacht Sales|
SHELL-FISH is a vessel like no other. She was commissioned as a shellfish research vessel by the state of Connecticut and launched in 1931. In the 1960's she was purchased for recreational use and converted to a cruiser. Her heavy frame construction for commercial use is what kept her afloat all these years.
Her current owners purchased her in 2006 and spent the next 10 years restoring SHELL-FISH. They went to painstaking lengths to make sure she stayed true to her time period, yet, designed her systems to be state of the art and environmentally friendly. New 3"x3" steam bent oak ribs were installed where needed and damaged hull planks were replaces with 2" fir. The hull was double planked with 1" spanish cedar on the outer layer with hidden stainless steel fasteners. She was re-powered with a Cummins QSL9 delivering 285HP which pushes SHELL-FISH along at a comfortable crusing speed of 11 knots. She burns 4 gallons per hour. A bow thruster was installed to assist with docking. Her steering system was reengineered and converted from cable to hydraulic with dual steering pistons.
After her first sea trial in 2016, with the restoration nearly complete, her owners had an opportunity to pursue a new career, which involved relocating. The Marine Engineer they hired for the refit has been looking after her in-between visits from her owners.
The owners spent countless hours documenting the restoration and have put together a 160 page book that can be sent via email for any interested parties.
Please click on the "View Full Specifications" tab to learn more about her "State of the Art" restoration.
Entering the cabin from the cockpit, the companion way is covered by an aft facing varnished cowling with portholes on either side. There are two staterooms on the Starboard side and one to port. Just ahead of the aft port stateroom is a head with a sink, vanity and stall shower with a separate room with a toilet.
Moving forward, a door separates the aft living quarters from the galley/dinette area. The dinette is to starboard and just ahead of the dinette is the galley sink and copper covered countertop. Adjacent to the countertop is a beautiful 1930's 3-burner propane stove that was completely restored and brought up to date. On the port side of the galley area is a spiral staircase that leads to the pilot house and a double door refrigerator/freezer finished with varnish. Ahead of the refrigerator freezer is a door that leads to the salon area.
The salon area is very bright and airy with a beautiful varnished overhead hatch/skylight and portholes on either side. There is a large coffee bar to port with a head/toilet and stall shower to starboard. Centerline/aft is the bright finished engine compartment with double doors on each side for easy mechanical access. The forward portion of the salon has an L-shaped settee to starboard with another settee to port.
Forward of the salon is the fourth stateroom with a double bunk to starboard.
The pilothouse can be entered via doors on the port or starboard side and from the galley area by a spiral staircase. The helm is mounted centerline forward with all switches, gauges and controls mounted on either side for easy access and viewing. Mounted in the center is the original Dirigo binnacle compass, which was restored and calibrated. A chart table is located on the port side, between the stair entrance and the door which leads to the port deck. A settee is located to starboard and aft of the starboard side entrance door. Several of the windows open for a tremendous amount of ventilation.
Topside, the entire foredeck is open, and the enclosed pilot house sits midships. Aft of the wheelhouse is a large column-free covered deck with a step down to the lower deck.
This is a rare galley-down boat. This layout provides for a much more spacious wheelhouse. The beautifully updated galley/kitchen is below amidships with a beautiful wooden spiral staircase leading up to the wheelhouse which has a daybed.
SHELL-FISH is not a fragile antique. She was heavily built, which is why she has lasted all these years.
Most of the ribs were replaced with 3" x 3" steam bent oak frames, sistered with 1" x 2" oak where the the side frames transition to the bottom frames.
The bottom planking is 2" spanish cedar and the hull planking is 2" yellow pine. Any planks that were removed were replaced with 2" fir. The bottom and sides were then double planked with a layer of 1" spanish cedar.
Transom is Marine plywood, then double planked with mahogany.
The floor frames and deck frames are 3" sawn oak. Marine plywood was used for the deck material, then covered with teak.
Stainless steel fasteners were used throughout, in addition to some of the original galvanized fasteners.
SHELL-FISH was repowered with a fuel efficient Cummins QSL9 engine delivering 285HP. She only has 10 hours on the motor. She cruises at 11 knots, burning 4 GPH. A custom stainless steel dry exhaust was fabricated and insulated with a heat shield jacket. She is raw water cooled with a heat exchanger.
Steel engine beds were fitted over the stringers for engine mounting.
The original 3-blade propeller was replaced with a 4-blade propeller, to minimize vibration while underway.
Two new aluminum fuel tanks (300 U.S. Gal. each for a total of 600 U.S. Gal.) were installed beneath the cockpit sole with all new fuel lines and fittings. A Racor fuel filter/water separator was also installed.
A Side-Power bow thruster was installed to assist with docking.
The cable steering system was replaced with a Hydraulic helm from 1927. This helm was rebuilt by the marine engineer and installed with twin steering pistons at the rudder for easy steering.
SHELL-FISH is powered with a single 50 amp 125 volt service. Shore power inlets were installed on either side of the of the storage compartment behind the wheel house. This was done to keep the running length of the shore power cord to a minimum, depending on which side of the vessel is secured to the dock.
Three 8D batteries power the DC electrical system. One is used for engine starting and the other two are used to supply the "house". There is a separate bank of group 31 series batteries to supply the bow thruster.
A MasterVolt Inverter/Charger (rated at 3,750W continuous - 7,500W peak) supplies the AC electrical system while away from the dock. All of the lighting fixtures, were converted to LED, while keeping to the same era the vessel was built.
All of the electrical outlets are rated for 20 amp service.
SHELL-FISH is pre-wired for solar panels on the hardtop to allow for extended stays on the hook without the engine running to charge the batteries.
SHELL-FISH had two new aluminum fresh water tanks installed during the restoration. The tanks are located under the bunks in the port and starboard aft staterooms. The total capacity is 275 gallons. PEX tubing was used to supply the water to all the fixtures. Some of the fixtures need to be connected, but the plumbing is in place.
Two, Type 1, Raritan Electroscan heads were installed, which treats the waste before pumping it to a 90 gallon holding tank or overboard through a "Y" valve, when far enough offshore. Schedule 80 PVC piping was used to eliminate odor that can be caused by permeating standard sanitation hose.
After construction was complete, the exterior was coated with two coats of epoxy, followed by a coat of ALEXSEAL high build primer, then a coat of flexible primer and finally two coats of ALEXSEAL finish primer. ALEXSEAL paint was chosen for the two coats of finish paint. This high-tech german product was chosen to eliminate yearly maintenance and is frequently used on mega yachts and airplanes. It has 70% flexibility compared to 30% flexibility of other marine paints. Due to its flexibility, the ALEXSEAL paint requires minimum maintenance, only every 5 to 6 years.
A custom cover was made to protect the pilothouse from the sun and a second cover was made to cover the entire boat from the gunwale up. This can easily be removed in sections for storage.
For over 10 years, the owners of SHELL-FISH poured their heart and soul into this vessel to keep her true to the era of of the early 1930's, while using modern technology for her systems. She can be used for private use or six-pack charters and with some modifications, she can be certified to T-boat status.
Some of her systems need to be completed, but she can be operated and is very close to completion of the restoration.
Please call to discuss this unique opportunity further or to request a copy of the restoration book that was put together by the owners.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
|Max djupgående med last||1.52m|
|Tank för Färskvatten||2 x 520.49 l (Aluminium)|
|Bränsletank||2 x 1135.62 l (Aluminium)|
|Förvaringstank övrigt||1 x 340.69 l (Plast)|