Fantastically well-equipped example of the Judel Vrolijk designed Grand Soleil 50 aft cockpit performance cruising yacht. Mr.Twister is still under her first ownership and she is presented in great condition inside and out.
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Launched in April 2007 and still under the first ownership, Mr. Twister is surely one of the best Judel Vrolijk design Grand Soleil 50 today on the market as her owner take a great care of the boat with the yard looking after the boat for all the winter.
Her specification highlights are numerous, but particular highlights include:-
- 3-cabin, 2-head owner’s layout
- Larger 75hp Volvo engine option with saildrive and recent diaphragm replacement
- Recently re-painted
- Carbon fibre pole and deck gear
- Fully-battened mainsail with ball-bearing battencars, single-line reefing and lazyjacks
- Flex-o-fold feathering prop
- Retractable bowthruster
- Twin alternators, upgraded battery capacity and inverter
- Webasto diesel heating system
- Mastervolt 3,5 generator
- Nobeltec instrument package including digital radar & plotters
- Satellite TV
Designed by Rolf Vrolijk, and it shares the same heritage of this designer, who has proven his ability to delineate and reaffirm the success of Alinghi in the last two editions of the America’s Cup. Grand Soleil 50’ is a consecration of the design on which it was built, aimed at limiting wave-resistance at sea and at defining significant shape stability in order to achieve the ideal angle of balance and consistently safe and comfortable sailing.
SUCCESSFUL CHOICES - In terms of design solutions, the sail area includes a high-extension spanker and a low-overlap genoa jib, so as to allow for easy and intuitive sailing in all conditions, even with a short crew. The spacious and user-friendly cockpit is designed to suit both cruise and regatta use. The main sheet at the end of the boom ensures the best possible control for regatta use, whilst the halyard runs below deck, the short deckhouse and the garage hood make for a clear, obstacle-free deck, and ensure that all rigging movements can be carried out freely and rapidly.
SEA-AFFINITY. ENOUGH SAID - There is perhaps no greater or more desirable quality in a boat, and yet, when you try Grand Soleil 50’, you will recognise it instantly and naturally. This boat is truly made for the sea, tireless, handling races or cruises, the longer the better, in the heart of the habitat that Grand Soleil 50’ was made for, and where it is truly in its element. Above deck, the double wheelhouse opens out the cockpit and provides for a direct passageway to the transom, where the electrical opening-system facilitates easy and immediate access to the sea.
HIGH-CLASS LIVING - Dimensions and design choices make the Grand Soleil 50’ an extremely agreeable boat, particularly well-suited for hosting guests and families, thanks to its spacious rooms and decks.
SPEED MEETS RELAXATION - Below deck, the sporty life gives way to a cosy and welcoming atmosphere, distinctly elegant and refined, down to the smallest detail, as befits the finest Grand Soleil tradition.
- Our understanding is that the yacht is built to CE Boat Category A-Ocean.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- GRP hull, deck and superstructure construction
- Stratified unidirectional fibreglass offering a tensile strength of up to 25 kg/mm².
- NPG isophthalic gelcoats, NEOGEL and vinylester resin are applied to the first layers of the hull.
- Bulkheads laminated with 60mm flanges for increased adhesion to GRP
- Hot galvanised steel grid structure for transferance of rigging and keel loads
- Stainless steel chainplates with 27mm rods secured to grid structure
- White gelcoat hull and deck finish
- Blue waterline stripe and cavita line
- Deck construction in GRP with termanto foam core for increased insulation, shear strength and durability
- Side decks, coachroof, cockpit seating and cockpit sole in laid teak with black caulking
Keel & Rudder:
- Hydrodynamically designed fin keel with lead bulb
- The keel is bolted onto the metal internal structure so as to distribute the keel load over the broad, and sturdy fibreglass and galvanised steel surface of the entire hull.
- The balanced spade rudder is moulded in fibreglass with internal 300mm stainless steel plates attached to 60mm diameter stainless steel stock.
Engine & gearbox:
- Volvo Penta D2-75, 4-cylinder turbo-charged diesel engine producing 75 HP
- Volvo 150-S saildrive gearbox
- Saildrive diaphragm
- Freshwater engine cooling using raw water inlet and heat exchanger.
- Water-cooled exhaust system in reinforced rubber hose through silencer and appropriate fitting.
- Engine housing lifts on gas struts.
- Lewmar stainless steel single lever throttle/gear control in cockpit
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine hours: approx 2300 hours as of February 2020
- Date of last engine service: Engine serviced annually
- Mastervolt whisper 3,5 generator
- Generator hours: approx. 60 hours as of February 2020
Propulsion & Steering:
- Solimar Racer twin steering pedestals with black lacquered carbon figure helm wheels
- Flexofold 3-bladed feathering propeller
- Ambassador rope cutter
- MAX Power 12vDC VIP 150 retractable bowthruster with control at helm pedestal
- Solimar emergency steering gear
- 12vDC primary domestic system with 230v AC via shorepower or generator
- 2x 12vDC engine GEL start batteries
- 6x 12vDC domestic GEL batteries joined in parallel
- 1x 12vDC bowthruster GEL battery
- BEP Marine battery switches
- Emergency parallel switch for engine and service battery banks
Charging / Inverter:
- Authomatic 12/60 60A battery charger for domestic batteries
- 80A 12vDC alternator on engine
- Marinco 30Amp shorepower supply with ring main and 230v AC sockets in interior
- 12v sockets at chart table and in cockpit
- Circuit breakers with automatic fuses and indicator lamps for all individual circuits.
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- 12vDC pressure system with Par Max pump
- Hot water supplied via engine cooling with calorifier or via 230vAC immersion heater element from shore power in well-insulated hot water tank
- Hot & cold pressurised water to galley, heads and shower in cockpit
- 3x manual bilge pumps in cockpit, below decks and forward sail locker
- 2x 12vDC high capacity electric bilge pump with manual overrides
- 2x 12vDC shower drain pumps
- Gas locker in separate drained compartment in cockpit
- Nereus gas alarm system
- 290 litres diesel capacity
- Analogue Fuel tank level gauge at chart table
- 460 litres fresh water capacity
- Analogue water tank gauge at chart table
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- Raymarine Autopilot control
- Raymarine Wind display
- Raymarine Depth display
- 2x speed displays
- Plastimo steering compass as companionway
At Chart Table:
- Digital colour GPS chart plotter radar connected on TV screen
- Nobeltec Radar
- Nobeltec charts software
- Clock & barometer on main bulkhead
- Twin stainless steel sinks with single lever mixing tap.
- 3-burner gimballed gas cooker with oven
- Top-opening fridge with 12vDC compressor
- Front opening fridge
- Electric Jabsco heads in both heads compartments
- Heads showers with automatic temperature control and electric pump out
- Stainless steel sinks
Heating & Ventilation:
- Webasto Airtop 5000 diesel-fired hot air heating system with outlets cabins
- Ventilation consisting of opening skylights and opening portlights
Stereo and TV:
Summary of Accommodation:
- Aft cockpit layout with up to nine full length berths in three double cabins plus two further saloon settee berth, one of which converts to a double. Forward and aft day heads with showers.
- Marine grade waterproof core, faced with selected teak is used in all bulkheads and major joinery.
- Specially selected solid teak in frames and doors.
- All main bulkheads bonded to hull and deck, using glass fibre and polyester.
- Ceiling, topsides and minor visible hull sides with foam backed vinyl.
- Hull sides, bottom, bilge, etc top-coated throughout the interior.
- Cabin sole board finished in simulated teak and holly spline
- Locker doors have upgraded stainless steel hinges
- Acrylic stone counters in galley
- Cushions in high quality foam with first class upholstery.
- Blue fabric upholstery in saloon – seat covers replaced
- Bedding and recovering of mattresses
- Blue upholstery in accommodation cabins
- Aft guest cabins – Lee cloths between berths
- Oceanair solar reflective roller blinds on all 6 deck hatches.
- White cloth curtains
Description of Accommodation from Forward:
- Island double berth
- Twin settees, various storage compartments and hanging locker
- Master cabin en suite heads with shower, wash hand basin and sea toilet.
- Shower panel replacement with stainless
- Double berth to port
- Large draw under berth and storage cupboards at eye level above berth
- Mattress upgraded to fully sprung
- Starboard 2 x wardrobes with dressing table unit, containing 3 x drawers, floor level cupboard and cupboards above
- Large locker in bilge
- Spacious saloon with large dinette and second settee, dinette has the added capability to convert to double berth for extra accommodation.
- Movable saloon centreline bench
- Various storage lockers, and light beige cabin upholstery throughout.
- Oceanair solar reflective roller blinds on all 6 deck hatches.
- Stainless steel grab handles
- Forward facing chart table, located to starboard with chart storage and navigation electronics centre.
- L shaped galley located to port comprising of gas hob with oven and grill, 2 fridges (original chest and additional upright), stainless steel sink with chrome mixer tap.
- Numerous storage lockers and synthetic stone effect work tops.
- Stainless steel grab handles.
- Heads compartment with shower, wash hand basin, sea toilet, storage/vanity unit.
- Equal aft cabins with double berths and lee-cloths
- Hanging lockers with seat.
- Cabinet above bed along hull side.
- Door to main saloon from starboard and port guest cabins.
- Sparcraft aluminium anodised spars
- Keel-stepped mast with 3-sets of swept-back spreaders
- Stainless steel wire standing rigging
- Split backstay with Holmatro hydraulic adjuster
- Facnor genoa furler
- Bamar rod-vang
- Harken genoa tracks
- Fully-battened mainsail system with Frederiksen ball-bearing battencar system on mast-mounted track
- 2x single line reefs
- Mast fittings for inner forestay – no inner forestay available
- German mainsheet system with Harken full-width mainsheet track in cockpit forward of helms
- Carbon fibre spinnaker pole
- Spinnaker track on mast with uphaul and downhauls
- 2x Harken 60.2 STE 2-speed electric self-tailing primary winches
- 2x Harken 53.2 ST 2-speed manual self-tailing spinnaker winches
- 1x Harken 48.2 STE 2-speed electric self-tailing main halyard and control line winch
- 1x Harken 48.2 ST 2-speed manual self-tailing halyard and control line winch
- All sails from Dustom Sails maker
- Full batten carbon fibre film with one side taffeta main sail - 2013
- Furling carbon fibre film with one side taffeta genoa – 2013
- Heavy genoa – never used
- Asymmetric spinnaker with snuffer
- Stainless steel pulpit and pushpit.
- Teak step on pulpit
- Stainless steel guardwire stanchions
- Goiot opening side ports
- Lewmar opening deckhead hatches
- Electric fold-out bathing platform
- Scanstrut stainless steel radar antenna pole at the mast
- Hot & cold shower in cockpit
- Removable cockpit table
- Stainless steel anti-wear plates on foredeck and at aft end of superstructure
- Teak bulkwark
- Davits for dinghy
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Quick 12vDC reversing electric anchor windlass with remote control
- Anchor with 80m of 10mm chain
- Kedge anchor with chain and warp
- Fore and aft mooring lines
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
- Blue canvas mainsail cover
- Bimini with stainless steel frame
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
- Liferaft 6 person
- SEE ME Active radar reflector