Owner's Survey Completed September 2019. Just serviced, bottom painted.
KARMA is a proven passagemaker with all of the safety features and redundancies for which Cape Horn Trawlers have become famous, including double bottom, bulbous bow, bilge keels, 1/2" bolt-in windows, fuel filtration to < 1 micron, and numerous watertight compartments. Her hull is constructed of steel with a minimum thickness of 3/16" and in some places 3". Safety is paramount with a design that is self-righting. All systems are commercial grade and overbuilt.
KARMA has cruised the East Coast several times, completed the Great Loop, spent last summer in Alaska and crossed from Seattle to New Caledonia. She has performed beautifully, handles outstandingly well, and has all of the comforts of home which it has been for the owners.
If you are looking to cross oceans or venture to parts of the world where self-reliance is of the utmost importance, than is this the only yacht that makes sense.
There are 3 Staterooms with the third stateroom also incorporating an office space; Interior woodwork is cherry wood; carpet in staterooms; tiling in the bathrooms and showers in marble.
Recent Updates (Since Sept 2019):
- Vessel surveyed by owners Sept. 2019. Owners fixed findings.
- New Bottom Paint. Underwater part of haul was brought to bare metal to clean up rust, new hull paint and barrier paint
- Engine room just repainted and cleaned
- Oil, filters changed on Main Engine, Get Home Engine, Transmission and Generator.
- Boat cleaned.
- $50,000 in recent work this winter.
Ytterligare specifikationer, utrustning och information:
Designer: R.C. Johnston, N.A.
LÖA Längd över allt: 55 fot 0 tum
Bredd: 18 fot 0 tum
Max. djupgång: 7 fot 0 tum
Deplacement: 150000 pund
Ballast: 3000 pund
Total effekt: 359 HP
Motormärke: Volvo Penta
Motor typ: Inombord
Transmission: Segelbåts drev
Motorstyrka: 59 HP
Motormärke: John Deere 6076AFM30
Motor typ: Inombord
Transmission: V Drive
Motorstyrka: 300 HP
Marschfart: 8 mph
Max hastighet: 9 mph
Färskvattentankar: (350 Gallon)
Bränsletankar: (4000 Gallon)
Septitankar: (200 Gallon)
Antal singelbäddar: 7
Antal hytter: 3
Antal toaletter: 2
About the Design:
The Cape Horn 55 emphasizes four key criteria: safety, seaworthiness, comfort, and effective style. Designed by Bob Johnston - an internationally known British-Canadian naval architect with some 1,400 commercial - military projects to his credit - this craft is a true trawler, a full displacement power boat with a deep hull that maintains a low center of gravity and a high weight-carrying capacity relative to its size.
For the sake of long-range durability and reliability, all Cape Horn hulls are made of steel rather than fiberglass. The 55 holds 4,200 US gallons of diesel fuel, yielding a cruising range of 6,000 to 8,500 nautical miles depending on speed and weather.
About the Interior:
The interior is solid and functionally elegant. An embodiment of the Bauhaus philosophy, form follows function in a rattle-free, roll-proof system which glows in a tasteful blend of warm maple and appropriate accents. The U-shaped galley adjoins the salon forward, separated by a lunch bar with swivel stools.
The master stateroom has a walk-around queen size bed, enormous hanging lockers, a large chest of drawers, and a vanity. The bed lies near the center line at the point of least motion under way in the entire ship. In terms of guest staterooms, a variety of layouts offer the same high standards as the master suite, with abundant storage and luxury heads.
The pilothouse is the command and entertainment center. Spaciously including every possible comfort and safety feature, it is air conditioned and cross-ventilated. Electrically heated windows are standard, and watertight doors give access to the 360-degree main deck walk-around with Portuguese wall.
The top deck provides a roomy dining and lounging area which affords a perfect view of the world. Ideal for sunbathing and dining under the stars, the top deck is also the most practical place for the tender plus a crane or mast. Because Cape Horns are designed for minimum maintenance, all exterior wood has been eliminated in favor of functionally decorative 316 stainless steel.
- Sound system: Bose Lifestyle 50 4-zone distributed audio system w/ surround sound in saloon and wheelhouse, speakers on back deck, office/stateroom and master stateroom
Wrap-around U-shape large ultra-leather upholstered seating for six around birds-eye maple table; additional seating on large L-shaped settee portside with entertainment center. Carpeted sole.
- TV: Sony Vega 21"
- Satellite Receiver: Sony DSS
- DVD Player: Sony
- Speakers: Bose surround sound AMS-10 speaker system
Galley (Interior, Main):
Forward from salon to port. U-shaped ergonomically designed for ease of use in all seas.
- Convection/Microwave Oven: GE Profile Performance convection/microwave oven
- Refrigerator/Freezer: Samsung Full Size Fridge/Freezer (311 Liter / 11 Cubic Feet)
- Trash Compactor: Broan
- Electric Stovetop: Thermador 4-burner
- Counters: Blue Pearl Granite w/backsplash
- Sink/Faucet: Stainless steel sink w/hot & cold faucets & Soap dispenser
- Water Filter: Seagull water filtration
- Garbage disposal
- Dishwasher: Miele G811SDC SS compact
- Numerous lighting capabilities
Galley (Exterior, Secondary):
Located in the aft cockpit, the exterior Galley has a two-burner propane stove, plenty of counter space, a mini sink and plenty of storage.
- Cooktop: 2-Burner Propane cooktop.
- Sink/Faucet: Stainless Steel sink and faucet
- Storage: 3 Cabinet storage, one cabinet above sink.
The stateroom companionway is down seven steps, with port and starboard grab rails and courtesy lights. Companionway houses electrical panels and meters, bilge pump switches and indicator lights. There are recessed lights and carpeted sole. Two steps lead to aft master stateroom. Watertight door leads to forward bow stateroom area. A hold in the companionway houses (6) 8D gel cell batteries, bilge pump, high water alarm, macerator pumps, and (2) Vacuflush pumps. The hold below the Master Stateroom contains (2) 8D gel cell batteries. The hold below the forward stateroom contains a Raritan 20 gallon hot water tank, Head Hunter fresh water pump, bilge pump w/high water sensor, and water tanks to port and starboard.
- Bedding: Island queen berth w/2 drawers
- Drawers: Built-in chest of drawers outboard
- Hanging Lockers: (2) hanging lockers outboard Port, (1) hanging locker aft Stbd, (1) large storage locker aft Stbd
- Extensive under bed storage
- TV: (1) hanging locker inboard w/ TV/VCR
- Night stands to port and starboard w/3 drawers each
- Bookshelves on aft bulkhead
- Porthole screens and sea covers
- Datamarine Link Multi readout
Ensuite marble-tiled master head is located to starboard, tastefully done in its own practicality.
- Marble Tiled sole and walls
- Recessed overhead lighting
- Porthole w/screen and sea cover
- Granite Vanity w/sink
- Full size stall shower w/ glass door
- (4) medicine lockers w/mirrored doors
- Holding Tank Readout: Tank Watch indicator light
- Vacuflush head
Forward Guest Stateroom:
- Bed: Island full-size berth w/4 drawers
- Extensive under bed storage
- Recessed overhead lighting
- Reading lights
- Portholes w/screens and sea covers
- Mirrored fwd bulkhead
- Storage alcoves forward of the berths
- (2) hanging lockers
Office / Guest Stateroom:
- Desk area w/ left return
- (9) drawers including 3 file drawers
- Bookshelves on aft wall
- Cat 5 wiring to Wheelhouse
- Upper & lower berths fwd
- Porthole w/screen & sea cover
- Recessed lighting
- Washer and Dryer: Asko SS Front-load Washer and SS Dryer
- (3) door storage locker
- Watch berth
- (2) Shelved lockers, (8) chart drawers - port helm
- (2) Shelved lockers - starboard helm
- Seahail loudhailer
- SS steering wheel
- MicroCommander clutch/throttle control
- (5) Windshield wipers
- (5) Heated windows
- Bow thruster control
- Stern thruster control
- Windlass control switch
- Winch on/off switch
- Ultra Safety Systems high water alarm
- Day tank monitor w/indicator lights
- John Deere engine instrument panel - all gauges
- (2) Bass products DC panels - helm
- (2) Northern Lights generator control panel
- Main Engine: John Deere 6076-AFM30. 300 HP, 6,549 Hours.
- Main Propeller: 5 Blade 36" x 25" bronze propeller
- Main Fuel Consumption: 12 Liter/Hr at 6kn (about 3 Gallon/Hr)
- Get-Home / Auxiliary Engine: Volvo Penta Saildrive. 59 HP. 45 hours
- Servicing - Both engines oil and filters changed Oct 2019
A note on the electrical system on this vessel. The boat was originally used in the U.S., but it's been travelling for over nine years, and has been in New Caledonia for a few years. Here's what the owners did to convert the system: "To the electrical 220V, 50Hz System, we installed additional a 220v cable that we can plug into shore power and have the possibility to load the Batteries with additional 220V chargers and run the fridge when we are in the Marina.
When we are at sea, the fridge runs on an inverter, producing 220 V, of the batteries and they are charged over solar panels and the generators. There are also two big Trace Inverter-charger they run the 110V 60 Hz system. We are now going on 10 years in a 220 V, 50 Hz area without a problem."
- Generator 1: Northern Lights 16 Kw, 1,270 hours
- Generator 2: Northern Lights 10 Kw, 6,229 hours
- Servicing - Both generators oil and filters changed Oct. 2019.
- Charger/Inverter: (2) Trace sinewave 2500 watts
- Engine Batteries: (4) 12-volt engine batteries in boxes
- House Batteries: (8) 8-D gel cell
- Battery Monitor: Link 20 System
- Stern and Bow Thrusters: Hydraulic stern thruster in keel. Bulbous Bow has Hydraulic Bow Thruster.
- (2) hydraulic steering actuators
- Fuel Transfer Pump: (2) Globe brand
- Fuel Polishing System: Perfect Filtration brand, 1 micron filters
- Dual Racor fuel filters w/vacuum gauge
- Fuel monitoring system: FloScan w/Mechanical fuel pump
- Racor filters for generators
- (5) Electric fuel lift assist pumps
- Oil change system: Reverso brand
- (2) Lube oil tanks (1 waste & 1 fresh)
- Hydraulic oil reservoir
- Muffler System: Water collector-type
- Watermaker: Filtration Concepts 600 gpd
- Bilge Pumps: (4) Auto & manual
- Shower Sump Pumps: (2) Gray-water pumps
- Steel Rudder
- Computer with Navigation software (MaxSea) with 15" monitor
- GPS: Furuno Navigator 36 DGPS and 31 GPS
- Radar: Furuno Radar 1942 Mark II
- Radar: SiTex PC radar
- Forward Sonar: Interphase Twinscope
- Autopilot: Robertson AP-20
- Autopilot Remote: Robertson AP-22
- Steering Lever: Robertson FU 35 Helmcontrol
- Digital Compass: Datamarine display
- Depthsounder: Datamarine digital display
- Multifunction repeater: Datamarine
- Wind Indicator/Speed: Datamarine
- VHF: SEA 157
- SSB Radio: SEA 235
- Fire Extinguishers: Kidde FE241 automatic fire extinquisher integrated with auto shutoff of engine, generator, and blowers
- Liferaft: Switlik 6-person liferaft in canister
- Lifering: 24 Jim buoy lifering
- Life Jackets
Deck & Hull:
- Main Anchor & Chain: 90 Lb CQR plow anchor w/ 12mm 300' chain
- Secondary Anchor & Chain 2: 69 Lb Fortress Anchor FX-125 w/150' chain & 300' nylon rode
- Chain Locker just repainted and cleaned Oct. 2019.
- Windlass: Maxwell 3500 anchor hydraulic windlass w/capstan, wildcat & (2) deck switches
- Forward Hatch: Vernon hatch to rode locker
- Searchlight: Guest 292C searchlight with remote
- Electric air horns
- (6) Bollards: 4 on bow, 2 aft
- SS bow rail & stanchions
- Deck Hardware: SS & Chrome-plated
- Davit System: 1000Lb MarQuipt Davit
- Tender: Maxxon 9 Ft in good condition
- Outboards: Mercury 4 Stroke, 5 HP, and Yamaha 2 Stroke 6 Hp.
- (2) large deck storage boxes
- Aft Deck Door: Freeman watertight door
- Pilothouse Doors: Freeman watertight Dutch doors, port & starboard
- Portuguese bridge gate to foredeck
- Bulwark lockers: (4) Lockers forward each w/single door access
- Boarding gates: Midship, port & starboard
- Starboard steps to bridge & boat deck
- Transom gate
- Swim platform w/swim ladder
- Telephone & TV connections aft
- Decking: Marine Deck 2000 on aftdeck, side decks, and stairs
Recent Upgrades (2019-2020)
KARMA had a survey done by the sellers in September 2019. The vessel showed no major issues. The owners had wanted to do updates and completed additional work based on findings. Here's a partial list of work done:
- New engine battery (Dec 2019)
- New main engine air filter (Nov 2019)
- New FlexiTeak synthetic decking on Stern (swim platform) (2019)
- Haul out for 24 days (Sept-Oct 2019)
- Prop Speed applied to props and shaft
- New Hull Paint (3 Coats). (Oct 2019)
- New Bottom paint (Dark red) by Seaconomy (Late Sept 2019)
- 6 new Gel Batteries (Sept 2019)
- 4 new Zinc anodes (August 2019)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. Hours listed may vary from actual hours due to recent use. Purchaser is encouraged to verify hours prior to purchase. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
*This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.