Check out the classic lines of this Sweet boat! Willam Lapworth, "Gentleman Bill" had more early offshore sailing experience than many boat designers. His Cal 40, was considered a daring design, and won most of the races in the early 70s. The CAL 39, introduced in 1971, was one of the first defining "Performance Cruisers", and the boat remained in production thru 1986. A well-balanced boat with a fast keel, big spade rudder, stiff rig and generous accommodations, the Cal 39 is a very sweet sailing boat, and modest live-aboard.
"Many 39s have been retrofit into serious cruisers and owners rave about the sea-kindly motion and good turn of speed. The powerful hull shape can carry sail in a blow and can also be loaded up with stores without sacrificing too much performance. The Cal 39 is an ideal boat to consider for long-range cruising, especially if your budget is under $70,000 and you don’t want to sacrifice good sailing"....John Kretschmer, Sailing Magazine
This high-quality performance cruiser is in good condition, and ready to go to the San Juan or Gulf Islands NOW! Call soon. . . Someone is going to get a great boat!
s/v Sweet is a tasteful classic, a clean great sailing boat, with a very comfortable layout. Starting in the bow, aft of the anchor locker, is a large vee berth in the forward cabin, with hanging locker and storage. The double-door head on port is spacious with an incorporated shower. The main salon has two very comfortable settees with nice up-dated upholstery. The port settee converts to a king size berth. The seatback on the starboard settee raises to make an extremely large single berth. The centerline drop-leaf dining table will easily seat six big guys. Back in the day, yacht marketing required a leaded glass door liquor locker, to have a real yacht - check.
The reverse "U" shaped galley, with great counter space, is aft on port, making access to the salon easy, and protecting the cook. The Force 10 3-burner propane stove, with oven, is clean! The double SS. deep sinks on center-line, eliminate any healing back-flow issues. Below, the engine box is clean and well insulated. The well maintained Perkins with new hoses, filters, water pump, etc starts and runs well. Opposite the galley, the nav-station to starboard has a hideaway seat, with access to the deep quarter berth. The nice teak interior features varnished wood, teak and holly cabin sole, and tastefully updated upholstery. The boat is surprisingly light, with 4 big port lights, 4 opening ports, and 2 large hatches.
If you are looking for a great sailing, sweet Lapworth design, that will fit in a 40' slip, this one, could take you there! You could be sailing on your own boat. . .
Note: This boat is not in Anacortes.
Please call Lee Youngblood for viewing in Seattle at 425-444-9109.
* LOA: 39' * LWL: 32’ 8”
* Beam: 11' 10” * Draft: 6’ 8”
* Disp.: 17,000 Lbs. * Ballast: 7,000 Lbs.
* SailArea: 719 Sq.Ft. * SA/Disp: 17.46
Sails and Rigging Notes
* Single-Spreader, Painted Kenyon Aluminum Ma st
* S.S. Wire Standing Rigging w/ HiTech Running Rigging
* Harken Roller Furling, Merriman and Harkin Genoa cars
* Doyle Mainsail w/full Battens, 2 Reefs, Sailcover
* Furled Dacron Jib w/new UV strip, 163% Quantum Genoa
* 2) Barient #32 Self-tailing Primary Winches
* 2) Barient # 28 Secondary Winches
* Barient #22-Jib, and #21 Self-Tailing Main Halyard Winches
* Barient #18 Mainsheet, and #16 Spinnaker Halyard Winches
* New backstay and very nice New running rigging!
* New Breezy Dodger! Note the traditional oval windows.
Mechanical and Electrical Equipment
* Perkins 50hp Diesel 4-108 50HP Diesel Engine
* 3-Blade Max Prop w/ standard packing
* New Primary Racor Fuel Filter
* 12Volt Hi-Amp Alternator w/ Balmar Regulator
* 2) New (2) AGM 8D batteries in Todd Boxes
* Pro-Mariner Battery Charger
* 30amp Shore Power Service w/ Cord and Breakers
* New Garmin #1042 GPS/10”Chart Potter
* NEMA 2000 ready!
* Datamarine Depth Sounder & Knot Meter
* Datamarine Wind Speed, Direction & Log
* 6” Ritche Compass at Helm
* Red Dot Cabin Heater
Galley | Interior Gear
* Gimbaled 3-Burner Force 10 Stove
* New Propane w/ Gauge n Solenoid
* Adler Barbour 12VDC Refrigeration
* Stainless-steel midship deep double Sinks
* Hot/Cold Pressure water
* 5-gallon Kuuma Hot Water Heater
Hull | Deck | Safety Gear
* Solid Hull, w/Cored Balsa & Ply Decks
* 15K. Rocna 100’ chain and 300’ Rode-New
* Simpson Lawrence Manual Windlass
* Manual and Electric Bilge Pumps
* Mainsail and winch Covers
* SS Bow/Stern Stanchions with 2 lifelines
* Emergency Tiller, Bilge-Pump Handle
* LifeSling, Flares and USCG Decals
* Fire extinguishers and Life-jackets
* Fenders, Dock lines, and Horn
* Stern Ladder / Firdell Blipper Reflector
* 55 gal. Diesel - AL. Tank
* 50 gal. Water - AL. Tank
* 11 gal. Holding Tank
(Ask for List of Improvements)